Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Phenergan and Tornadoes

Today has been pretty uneventful. I was in bed pretty much all day (except for going to the bathroom and warming some soup to eat).

Two days ago I got pretty sick and had to go to the emergency room. Yeah not fun! I'm grateful and all because it helped me to get better, kind of.  Just FYI if you Ever need to go to the ER don't forget thick socks, a sweater and a really warm blanket. It was Freezing!! We brought a blanket and I was still shivering. My poor husband didn't have anything to warm him!

Ok next thing, I have gotten sick like this a few times this summer and every time I've gotten  a shot of phenergan which is anti-nausea medication. I didn't know I had any other options, and after I got the medication in the ER this time I had my usual rection to it. Here's how it feels to me: I felt literally like I was going mad. Like millions of bugs were crawling inside of me and I couldn't sit still. I kept thrashing around, convulsing, trying to make it go away.

Here's what I found online:

Phenergan side effects

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using Phenergan and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
  • twitching, or uncontrollable movements of your eyes, lips, tongue, face, arms, or legs;
  • tremor (uncontrolled shaking), drooling, trouble swallowing, problems with balance or walking;
  • feeling restless, jittery, or agitated;
  • high fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, rapid breathing;
  • feeling like you might pass out;
  • seizure (convulsions);
  • pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, fever, sore throat, flu symptoms;
  • decreased night vision, tunnel vision, watery eyes, increased sensitivity to light;
  • hallucinations, agitation;
  • nausea and stomach pain, skin rash, and jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
  • urinating less than usual or not at all;
  • joint pain or swelling with fever, swollen glands, muscle aches, chest pain, vomiting, unusual thoughts or behavior, and patchy skin color; or
  • slow heart rate, weak pulse, fainting, slow breathing (breathing may stop).
Yeah, Sounds familiar right?

My nurse came in and I told her what was going on. She said that I was having a reaction, she told me the name of it but I can't remember now.  She said NEVER TAKE PHENERGAN AGAIN! She said it over and over again so it would stick I guess.   Then they gave me very nice nausea medication that taskes like candy and dissolves in my mouth. How blessed this new medication is!

(Don't let the pretty butterfly fool you!)





Anyways, I feel much better today. I've just been taking it easy.   A little while ago I was just on FB browsing around when all of a sudden this piercing beeping goes off and makes me almost have a heart attack! My husband is at work and since there was a tornado warning a little earlier in the summer I thought "I wonder if this is a tornado warning!"

I was only in my underwear so I scrambled to put on some clothes and I thought "What should I take? Where are my keys? I should take my camera. I don't want the tornado to take it!" Talk about an emergency situation. The beeping went off a minute after it started. I have No Idea why it went off. I actually think it was the fire alarm, because I called one of the girls in the apartment complex to see if her tornado alarm was going off too. I felt very silly when I called because my heart was hammering in my chest and I could barely talk rationally, plus she was as calm as could be so I knew right off that there was no tornado.

That about wraps up my fun day!  Hope yours was joyful as well.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Mindy! I'm sorry you've been sick AGAIN! When mom told me I've been worried about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well, I'm feeling better now. I decided to start taking oils again because looking back at everything I've tried, it was oils that really got me into remission the first time. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete