Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Healthy Cooking Tips #1

My food is like photography: all experimental! I LOVE food and beaing healthy, so it's been fun trying new things. Plus, I love Iron Chef, and every time I watch it I'm so inspired, I go to my refrigerator and say to myself, "What can I make that is INCREDIBLE with only what I have in my fridge and cupbords right now?" And that's what I do.

Tip #1:  I have two favorite kitchen tools (besides the spatuals and stuff). #1 is a Vita Mix. Oh how glorious it is! I seriously use it every day. If you don't have a Vita Mix (Or Blendtech, I hear they're fabulous too) that's ok, but I highly reccomend a blender of some kind.


Tip # 2: This little food processor is my next favorite tool. I LOVE not having to chop up everything by hand, and it's nice that this one is smaller, because I can chop small amounts of things like one or two cloves of garlic just fine. I do larger quantities too, and that just takes three or four batches, but I'm cool with that. 

Tip # 3: If you do have these tools, rinse them out as SOON as you're done blending or chopping. It makes life so much easier.

 Movin on to the Food: Have you ever gone to the grocery store and bought a bunch of produce thinking, "This is good for me. I should eat this."And then a week or two later you look in your fridge and reaize it's all gone bad and you have to just throw it away? Yeah, me too. For the past few months I have really been trying to eat more fruits and vegetables. This has forced me to go out of my comfort zone a bit since I didn't grow up eating a ton of it. Now, I feel very comfortable with produce! I eat it all the time. Ya know how I do it?

Tip # 4: When you go to make a meal (whether it's a nice dinner or a quick lunch) look at your food and say to yourself, "I need to eat these fruits and vegetables or they're gonna go bad." Take whatever you have a make a meal BASED AROUND the produce or whatever food that needs to be eaten before it goes bad. DO NOT use the excuse that you don't know what to make with it or don't have a recipe for that thing. (Allrecipies is a Fantastic site where you can search for recipes based on the food you have) Even if you don't know what you're going to make with it, Decide you're going to create something magical!

Example: The other day I had some ground beef that I had already cooked and used part of for something else. I needed to use it, plus the other produce I had. I took the meat, an onion, tomato, and zuccini out. I chopped the veggies, and put it all in a pan with some water so it could cook for a few minutes (with sat & pepper & chilli powder). When the water was almost gone (but not quite) I took it off and put it in warmed tortillas. My husband doesn't like zuccini so I didn't put it in his portion. He had mayo on his burrito, but I didn't.

(This is the meat with these three veggies in it)

They were fantastic!
They were easy, we used what we had, and deeelicious!


I hope this will help you to look in your refrigerator and think "What can I made that's healthy and delicious?"And then
DO IT.



No comments:

Post a Comment